Swansea and Port Talbot Docks History

Weavers

The Weavers building was a flour mill and corn storage depot. It was designed and built by the French engineer Francois Hennebique in 1897, the first reinforced concrete building in Europe. It was demolished in 1984 in preparation for the Sainsburys development. A commemorative plaque and column from the old building stand on the Tawe footpath near the New Cut bridge.



Weavers lorry




Aerial view


Weavers complex at Beaufort dock


Victoria Wharf


Weavers in 1958 (photo: Rev R Alan Evans. Many thanks for her help to his daughter Hilary)


Weavers looking south


Ready for demolition




Click here to return to the North Dock page