Swansea and Port Talbot Docks History

Shipping - Other Vessels

1930s dredger Summerton heading towards the South Dock to discharge its cargo of sand

The Sealink ferry Felicity arriving to dry dock at Swansea in 1991

Educational cruise ship Devonia leaving Swansea Docks in 1966. A former wartime troopship, the vessel was built in Glasgow in 1939

Educational cruise ship Nevasa leaving Swansea Docks in 1967. Built in 1956, she was broken up in Taiwan in 1975

Passenger ferry Oldenburg which operates a service between Bideford and Lundy Island. She made two trips to Swansea in the late 1990’s when she berthed at the South Dock Marina entrance. Here she is seen passing the Swansea Ferryport with the Celtic Pride in the background

The Thames sailing barge Hydrogen, high and dry at Swansea for an inspection of the hull in 1981. Built in Rochester in 1906, the 98 ton barge was visiting Swansea on a promotional tour for Bells Whisky

The Royal yacht ‘Britannia’ paid a visit to Swansea in 1994, and is seen here approaching the Kings Dock Lock

The Royal yacht Britannia in the Kings Dock Lock, Swansea in 1994

Desmond Fitzgerald and Richard Dyer assisting with the locking-in the Britannia

Britannia berthed at C Shed Wharf, Swansea in 1994

Arethusa visiting Swansea

View of the Stern of the Arethusa (Photos: Roger Green)

HMS Fearless arriving in Swansea c1968

HMS Diana at H Shed wharf, PoW Dock, c1955

H.M.S. Exeter at B Shed Wharf Kings Dock

German coaster Lisa moored on the inner roundhead of Kings Dock Lock

Sir Winston Churchill on B Shed wharf, 1984

Sister ship Malcom Miller in P.o.W. Dock

Arco Swale leaving the Kings Dock Lock

mv Balmoral (on charter to P&A Campbell) cruising down the River Tawe c.1972

P&A Campbell's paddle steamer Cardiff Queen heading out to sea c.1960

Ocean Crest Research vessel

Swansea pilot cutter Seamark heading out into the bay - 1960s

Back to Shipping page