Retired Section Swansea Docks


     Next Page     Home Page  


Construction and opening of the Prince of Wales Dock

Royal Opening of the Prince of Wales Dock
On the morning of the 18th October 1881, Edward Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra proceeded in an open carriage from Singleton Abbey to the North Dock Basin, Swansea, passing through decorated streets thronged with cheering crowds. At Corporation Quay, the royal party boarded the luxury paddle steam yacht ‘Lynx’, which carried them out into the bay and around to the lock entrance of the new dock.

 Upon arrival, the royal party descended into the lock to inspect the masonry and the lock gate machinery (see engraving), before ascending to the quayside to perform the opening ceremony. After officially naming it the ‘Prince of Wales Dock’, Prince Edward pulled a ceremonial gold and jewelled lever to open the main sluice, thereby allowing water to flood into the new dock.



Prince of Wales operating the lever to open the sluice

Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra travelling along a street to be renamed Alexandra Road in honour
of Princess Alexandra (The original name was Yeo Street after Frank Ash Yeo Mayor of Swansea in 1874 and

Chairman of the Swansea Harbour Trust from 1878 to 1886)

Unused invitation to the opening of the Prince of Wales Dock.

The above pass was found in a draw and sent in by Jennifer Sullivan Her husband Dai Sullivan 
worked on the Kings Dock as a Tally Man and his father Cyril Sullivan as a Docker.
we thank her for the contribution. Cutting the first sod took place in about 1879.

Commemorative medal presented on the opening of the Prince of Wales Dock.

Construction of the Prince of Wales Dock.

Steam Navvy used in the construction of  Prince of Wales Dock Swansea.

Lowering the last stone to the new extension in 1898.

Last stone in place.

This stone was laid by  Louise Emily, Marchioness of Worcester, on 14th March 1898.

Above is a close-up of the stone plaque which is inscribed with the names of Sir John Jones Jenkins MP, Chairman, A.O. Schenk Esq. M.I.C.E., Engineer, and Sir John Jackson, Contractor.

Culvert from the Tennant Canal.

View of the extension before flooding.

Opening the sluices on the dam to flood the extension

Filling the extension.

Prince of Wales Dock in 1900.

Prince of Wales Dock in the 1900s.


Coal Hoist on the North side of the Prince of Wales Dock. In the background can be seen Lamberts Copper Works.

Top of Page