Retired Section Swansea Docks
Home Page


The Smiths – four generations on
Swansea Docks

Ray Smith, who worked in the Electrical Engineering Department of Swansea Docks between 1950 to 1985 writes to tell us of his family’s 146 years of service at the port, working variously for the Swansea Harbour Trust, the Great Western Railway, the Docks & Inland Waterways Commission, the British Transport Commission, the British Transport Docks Board and, last but not least, Associated British Ports

Ray’s grandfather, Evan John Smith, was born in 1873 and worked as a Hydraulic Repairer at Swansea docks from around 1889 to 1938. In those early days there were no electric cranes or hoists on the dock – everything was driven by hydraulic pressure, and the hydraulic repairers dealt with any burst or broken water mains in the high-pressure hydraulic system. 

Ray’s father, Charles Smith, worked in the Docks Traffic Department from around 1919 to 1965, and Ray’s son, Paul Smith, has been with the port’s Electrical Engineering Department since 1973 to the present day

Ray’s parents and his grandparents lived in Lamberts Cottages on Swansea Docks – cottages that were built in the early 19th century to house workers from Charles Lambert’s copper works situated on the foreshore at Port Tennant. Ray’s grandmother used to tell him that, before the Kings Dock was built in (1904/1909) the sea would come up almost to the cottage doors! Sadly, Lamberts Cottages were demolished in the early 1960’s.
The proud record of the Smith family’s service at Swansea Docks in terms of years is as follows:-

Grandfather – 49 years

Father     –     46 years

Ray        –      35 years

Paul       –      42 years to date

                             Grand total - 172 years
Jock Doig, Ray Smith and John Llewellyn outside
the Mole workshop Taken in July 1967.
Racehorse ready to be put on board the SS Clan Alpine
bound for America
 In the photo with the owners is Ray Smith. Taken in 1964.
Left to right T Charles, Mog Griffiths, J Doig, Ken
Williams, S Milligan and in the front Ray Smith.
Left to right Ray Smith, Trevor Charles, Mog Griffiths,
 Jock Doig, Dick Jones, Sid Milligan and annon Taken in 1965.
Dock Manager Ernie Howells Presenting Charles Smith with a clock on his retirement Who else in in the picture?
7th from the left is Swansea Dock Master Captain Lew Rowe. ( Many thanks to Roger Jones for this information )

2nd from left Bill Boatfield 2nd from right Alf Conibear ( Thanks to Bob Williams)
Evan John Smith in their garden at Lambert Cottages ( Late 1920s )
South Dock Power House.
These were built for the workers of Lamberts Copper Works, they were demolished
in 1964 and the tenants' re-housed in the new flats at Sketty Park
Bill King, Swansea & Port Talbot docks Manager presents a clock to Mr R E Smith ( centre right for 30 years
long service and silver trays to Mr. G Stevens (second left) for 51 years service Mr. W E Rees (second right)
32 years service and Mr. C McCoubrey (right) 25 years service. The awards were made to marek their retirement.
Also in the picture es Mr. T Wilkinson (left who is soon to take over the position of Docks Manager.

Bill King presenting a sherry tray to Mrs. D Smith who worked in the canteen. Others retiring were
Mr. J Couch,Mr. S G Cartwright. Also in the picture were; S J Watson, H Roberts, I F Williams
T C Lloyd, T B Jones, B L Davies, RLG Smith, A E Wastell, Capt Jack White, Capt Terry Chappell,
Brian Flower and Hugh Jones.

The man in the uniform is Charles Smith. The man in the doorway is believed to be Alfie Popham. This photo was taken
from the book  Heyday of steam in South Wales,  published by Ian Allan Publishing. The permission to put it on our site
was given by Mr. John Wiltshire who took the photograph. 
Top of Page