Swansea and Port Talbot Docks History

Construction of Palmers Dry Dock, Swansea

The following photographs show the construction of Palmers Dry Dock at Swansea. Owned and operated by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd.until taken over some years later by the Prince of Wales Dry Dock Co., the dry dock measured 560 ft. x 75 ft. and was opened in 1924. The first ship to use the new dry dock was the s.s. ‘British Empress’

September 1922

October 1922

November 1922

December 1922

March 1923

April 1923

May 1923

June 1923

September 1922

October 1923

November 1923

December 1923

January 1924

February 1924

View of dry dock gates from the Kings Dock

View of dry dock gates from inside the dry dock

Palmers Dry Dock gates

Click here to return to the Dry Docks home page