Swansea and Port Talbot Docks History

The Loss of the ss Empire Wagtail

Compiled  by  Ron  Tovey

Swansea   had  suffered  as  badly  as  anywhere  in  the  U.K.  as  a  result  of   the  severe  air  raids  the  German  war machine  had  thrown  at  it  since  the  outbreak  of  the  war.  Many  families  had   suffered  the  loss  of  loved  ones,  either  through  air  raids,  or  relatives killed  on  active  service,  but  an  occurrence  took  place  on  the  night  of  December  28th,  1942, over  1200   miles  from  Swansea,  that  was  to  have  a  devastating  effect  on  many  families  in  Swansea,  especially  on the  east  side  of  the  River  Tawe. This  followed  closely  after  the  loss  of  many  local  men,  many  of  them  in  their  twenties,  on  the  S.S.  Ocean  Crusader  just  four  weeks  earlier.

 The  Empire  Wagtail  was  a  vessel  of  4892  G.R.T.  380 ft  x 53 ft  which  had  been  built  in 1919,  at  Tacoma ,  Washington  as  the  Ossining.  In  1932  she  became  the  Point  Lobos  of  the  Gulf  Pacific  Mail  Line  Inc.,  and  1942  the  Empire  Wagtail,  M.O.W.T.

The  Empire  Wagtail  seen  as  the  Ossining.

The  vessel  left  Cardiff,  laden  with  coal,  to  join up  with  Convoy  ONS  154,(OUTWARD-NORTH  ATLANTIC-SLOW)  bound  for  Halifax,  Nova  Scotia.
Convoy  ONS  154  had  left  the  U.K.  on  December  19th  and  comprised  of  45  Merchant  ships.  The  Escort  Group  comprised  of  5  corvettes  of  the  Royal  Canadian  Navy,  a  rescue  ship,  and  the  tanker  Scottish  Heather,  which  was  assigned  to  refuel  the  escorts  at  sea.  The  convoy  was  spread  over  an   area  5  miles  wide  and  1.5  miles  deep.

A  typical  convoy  assembled  in  Halifax  Nova  Scotia  prior  to  departure.  

 The   year   of  1942  was,  in  maritime  terms,  probably  the  most  disastrous  in World  War  2,  with  the  allied  Merchant  Navies  suffering  losses  of  7,790,697  tons, 1664  ships. Of  these,  1,006  ships, totalling  5,471,222tons,  were  lost  in  the  Atlantic  alone.

 The   winter  of  1942/43  was  one  of  the  most  vicious  in  living  memory  and  the  convoy  experienced  severe  weather  in  the  Western  Approaches.

A  Liberty  Ship  in  heavy  weather.

The  destroyer  H.M.C.S.   St.Laurent   joined  the  convoy  to  the  west  of  Ireland  on  20th  December.


    The  convoy  was  first  sighted  on  the  Boxing Day  morning  and  was  shadowed  by  U-664.  By  that  afternoon,  the  convoy  had  entered  what  was  known  as  the  “Black  Pit”,  an  area  of  the  Atlantic  between  Iceland  and  the  Azores , which  was  beyond  the  protection  of  allied  aircraft.

The  convoy  was  first  attacked  in  the  early  hours  of  Sunday  December  27th  by   U-356.  The ‘ Empire  Union’,  #121,  was  torpedoed  at  0150  hrs  and  sank  at  0230  hrs.  The  next  vessel  to  be  torpedoed  was  the  ‘Melrose  Abbey’,  #101  at  0150  hrs  and  she  sank  about  45mins  later.
 Both  these  vessels  had  flanked  the  Empire  Wagtail  and  she  was  now  severely  exposed  to  attack.

The  rescue  ship  R.S.  ‘Toward’  picked  up  63  survivors  from  the  ‘Empire  Union’  and  27  from  the ‘ Melrose  Abbey’.  The  Master  and  Chief  Steward  of  the ‘ Empire  Union’  remained   on  board  and  went  down  with  the  ship.

 Two  more  ships  were  torpedoed  by  U-365,   the ‘Soekaboemi’  #114  at  0410hrs  and  the  ‘King  Edward’, #81  at  0415  hrs, this  vessel  sinking  within  three  minutes.  At  about  0730hrs  the  rescue  ship  ‘Toward’  and  the  corvette  ‘Napanee’  picked  up  survivors  from  the  ‘Soekaboemi’  and  shortly  afterwards  the  ‘Toward’  picked  up  a  lifeboat  with  23  men  from  the  King  Edward.

 The  destroyer  ‘St.  Laurent’  and  the  corvettes  ‘Chilliwack’,  ‘Battleford’  and  ‘Napanee’  all  fired  depth  charges  at  the  U-356  and  after  3  attacks  the  submarine  was  sunk  at  0431hrs.  The  entire  crew  of  46  perished,  including  the  commander  Oblt.  Ruppelt.  The  rest  of  the  wolf  pack  was  driven  off  and  lost  contact  with  the  convoy.

Later, on  the  afternoon  of  the  27th,  the  ‘Chilliwack’  picked  up  a  sonar  contact  and  this  turned  out  to  be  U-225,  which  had  been  shadowing  the  fleet  oiler  ‘Scottish  Heather’.  After  many  hours  of  chase  and  counter  chase, the  U-225  finally  had  an  opportunity  to  aim  his  torpedoes  at  the  ‘Scottish  Heather’  and  at  2040hrs.  the  tanker  was  hit  on  her  starboard  side.  The  order  was  given  to  abandon  ship  and  the  crew  took  to  the  lifeboats.

On  the  morning  of  December  28th,  U-262  made  contact  with  the  convoy  and  called  up  more  U-  boats. The  Admiralty  were  now  aware  of  the  gathering  danger  and  ordered  H.M.S  Milne  And  H.M.S  Meteor,  which  were  some  distance  away  from  the  convoy,  to  proceed  at  all  speed  to  provide  reinforcements.         

 The  night  of  December  28th  turned  out  to  be  a  night  of  unparalleled  carnage  with  19  U-boats  in  2  wolf  packs attacking  the  convoy.  A  total  of  9  merchant  ships  were  torpedoed  in  two  and  a  half  hours.  Some  survivors  were  picked  up  by  other  vessels,  only  to  be  torpedoed  again .After  the  main  battle,  the  U-boats  searched  for  and  sank  disabled  or  abandoned  vessels  and  vessels  trying  to  make  for  the  Azores.  The  ultimate  nightmare.

The  attack  began  at  1958hrs,  when  2  U-boats  entered  the  convoy  from  the  starboard  side.  Their  torpedoes  missed  and  the  submarines  were  driven  off.

Very  soon  after  this  first  attack,  3  vessels  were  torpedoed  in  quick  succession.  The  ‘Norse  King’,  #112,  was  hit  at  2000hrs  by  U-591  followed  by  the  ‘Melmore  Head’  at  2002hrs,  (U-225) sinking  in  about  2  minutes.  At  2005  the  ‘Ville  de  Rouen’#102,  was  hit  (U-225)     .

 At  2045  the  ‘Empire  Wagtail’,#111,  was  torpedoed  by  U-260  (  Lt.  Cdr.  Puckhold) and  was  blown  to  bits.  There  was  no  sign  of  the  vessel  after  the  initial  explosion  apart  from  some  flotsam  and  oil  slicks,  the  obligatory  remnants  of  war  at  sea.

          The  official  position  of  the  sinking  is  43  degrees,  17  minutes  North,  27  degrees  22  minutes  west.  

Some of the  vessels  lost  in  Convoy  ONS  154



Vessel  sailed  from  Swansea  on  December  14th,  laden with  5,453  tons  of  coal,  bound  for  Boston,  Mass.

The  vessel  arrived  in  Milford  Haven  on  December  15th,  where  she stayed  until  December  17th,  then sailing  for  Belfast  Lough,   arriving  the  following  day, meeting  up  with  other  vessels  forming  the convoy,  finally  sailing   pm  on  the  17th.


The  Norse  King  had  a  compliment  of  35,  28  being  Norwegian,  the  other  7  British. The  galley  boy  and  the  mess-room  boy,  both  of  whom  were  British,  were  16  years  of  age.  All  hands  lost


Vessel  sailed  from  Swansea  carrying  5,997tons  of  general cargo,  including  government  stores  and  explosives,  bound  for  Saldanah  Bay,  Table  Bay  and  the  Middle  East.  She proceeded  to  Belfast  Lough,  sailing  on  the  17th  December. The  crew  of  55  were  all  saved.


A  Belgian  Motor  Tanker,  she  sailed  from  Swansea  in  ballast,  bound  for  New  York,  via  Belfast  Lough.

The  vessel  carried  a  crew  of  49,  the  Master  was  captured  as  a  prisoner  of war  and  5  crewmembers  were  lost.

Catapult  Armed  Merchant  Ship (CAM)

The  Empire  Shackleton  sailed  from  Liverpool  on  December  18th  to  join  the  convoy.  The  vessel  was  bound  for  Halifax,  Nova  Scotia  with  2,000t  of  general  cargo  and  1,000t  of  aircraft  and  ammunition.  She  carried  a  compliment  of  69,  including the  convoy  Commodore. She  was  attacked  first  of  all  at  approx.  2355h  on  the  28th,  surviving  another  2  attacks  in  the  small  hours  of  the  29th,  before  being  sunk  at  0543h.

The  master, the commodore (Vice-Admiral Wion de Malpas Egerton DSO RN),   four naval staff members, 32 crew members and seven gunners were picked up   by the special service vessel HMS Fidelity (D 57) (Cdr Langlais) on 30   December, which was torpedoed and sunk the same day by U-435.  Four crewmembers, two gunners and a wireless mechanic were picked up by  the HMCS Shediac (K 110) (Lt J.E. Clayton) and landed at Ponta Delgada, Azores. 13 crewmembers, two naval staff members and two gunners were   picked up by the British merchant vessel  Calgary and landed at Freetown.



Sailed  from  London(?)  via  Loch  Ewe  bound  for  Boston  Mass.,  &  Trinidad  with  3,403t  of  coal  and  7  bags  of  mail.

The  vessel  had  a  complement  of  34,  7  of  whom  were  lost.



A  Dutch  freighter,  she  sailed  from  Gourock  on  December  18th,  bound  for  Bahia  and  Bombay,  carrying  5,000t  of  general  cargo.  The  vessel  had  a  complement  of  70  of  which  one  person  was  lost.

The Soekaboemi (Master H.A. van der Schoor de Boer) was hit on the  starboard side in the fore   part  of  the  ship and settled immediately by the bow. After  the 54 crew members, 12 gunners and four passengers abandoned ship in four   lifeboats, they observed  the propellers were visible over the water and that at least one man was still on board, signalling with his torch. Shortly afterwards, the British rescue ship Toward (Master Gordon K. Hudson) picked up the occupants of three lifeboats and landed  them at Halifax on 9 January. The master first intended to return to his  ship to assess the damage, but soon realized that his attempt would  be  futile. The man still on board left the ship by a raft and was later rescued by  HMCS Napanee (K 118) (Lt S. Henderson) near wreckage of the King Edward.

The  Position  of  the  Empire  Wagtail



The  U-boats  out-numbered  the  convoy  by  three  to  one  and  during  the  following  3  days  another  11  ships  were  torpedoed  and  altogether  510  men  perished.  Three  of  the  torpedoed  ships  were  still  afloat  and  attempted  to  make  the  Azores,  but  they  were  detected  by  the  U-boats  and  sunk.

 This  convoy  battle  had  a  major  effect  on  the  allies  strategy  regarding  Atlantic  Convoys  and  as  a  result  naval  escort  duties  were  radically  altered along  with  the  introduction  of  submarine  hunter/killer  groups.

 The  Empire  Wagtail  was  the  only  ship  to  be  sunk  by  U-260  in  the  U-  Boats career.

 The  youngest  person  to  perish  in  this  convoy  was  the  Empire  Wagtail’s  3rd  Radio  Officer,  Arthur  Andrew  Heard,  of  Hockley,  nr.  Birmingham  who  was  15  yrs  of  age.  


The  Officers  and  Crew  of  the  Empire  Wagtail.


Gabriel  Almond……Master,  aged  52,  Husband  of  Florence C.  Almond  of  South  Shields,  County  Durham.

Captain  Gabriel  Almond

Harold  Edward  Assie……Boatswain,  aged  33.

 Charles  Bates……Mess  Room  Boy,  aged  18.  Son  of  William  George  and  Sarah  Bates.

 John  Sutton  Bathgate……Second  Engineer,  aged  40.  Son  of  Archibald  and  Isabella  Bathgate;  husband  of  Catherine  M.S.  Bathgate,  of  Huyton,  Lancashire.

 Albert  Edward  Bidder……Storekeeper,  aged  32.  Son  of  David  John  and  Hannah  Jane  Bidder,  of  Swansea.

 John  Henry  Bradford……Donkeyman,  aged  33.  Son  of  John  William  and  Elizabeth  Ann  Fant  Bradford.

Russel  Ebb  Bridges……Chief  Engineer,  aged  34.  Husband  of  L.A.  Bridges,  of  Greenford,  Middlesex.

 Archibald  Berry  Brown……Second  Officer,  aged  51.  Son  of  James  and  Helen  Brown; Husband  of  Emily  Brown,  of  Severn  Bridge,  Gloucestershire.

 Kenneth  Charles  Bull……Fifth  Engineer,  aged  22.  Son  of  Mr.  And  Mrs.  Henry  William  Bull.

 Douglas  Sydney  Davies……Fireman,  aged  20.  Son  of  William  and  Phyllis  Annie  Davies,  of  Tottenham,  Middlesex.

 Evan  Basil  Davies……Able  Seaman,  aged  25.  Son  of  Evan  Beynon  Davies  and  Eileen  Davies.

 Percival  Richard  Llewellyn  Davies……Fireman,  aged  23.

 Reginald  John  Dow……Second  Radio  Officer,  aged  29.  Son  of  Alexandra  and  Alice  Dow; husband  of  Sylvia  M.  Dow,  of  Splott,  Cardiff.

 Kenneth  Francis  George  Evans……Sailor,  aged  19.  Son  of  William  and  Mabel  Evans  of  Swansea.

George  Gladwin……Chief  Officer,  aged  42.  Husband  of  Alice  Gladwin,  of  Garden  Village,  Hull.

 Arthur  John  Griffiths……Able  Seaman,  aged  23.

 Owen  Griffiths……Third  Engineer,  aged  31.

 Arthur  Andrew  Heard……Third  radio  Officer,  aged  15.  Son  of  Andrew  and  Ada  Heard,  of  Hockley,  Birmingham.

 Benjamin  Hosford……Third  Officer,  aged  22.  Son  of  Benjamin  Hosford,  of  Hastings,  Hawke’s  Bay,  N.Z.

 David  Graham  Isaac……Able  Seaman,  aged  33.  Son  of  David  John  and  Gwenllian  Isaac;  husband  of  Elizabeth  Anne  Isaac,  of  Fforestfach,  Swansea.

 William  John  James……Donkeyman,  aged  50.  Son  of  William  John  and  Sarah  James;  husband  of  Amy  Ivy  James,  of  Ammanford,  Carmarthenshire.

Thomas  Albert  Jenkins……Fireman,  aged  53.  Son  of  John  and  Caroline  Jenkins.

 Bernard  Francis  Jones……Cabin  Boy,  aged  16.  Son  of  Frederick  Francis  and  Catherine  Jones,  of  Cardiff.

 James  Henry  Jones……Galley  Boy,  aged  18.  Son  of  John  James  and  Emily  Jones,  of  Gosport,  Hampshire.

 James  Henry  Lack……Donkeyman,  aged  40.

 Charles  Macdonald……Fourth  Engineer,  aged  23.  Son  of  Archibald  and  Emily  Macdonald,  of  Liverpool.

 Thomas  William  Morrow……Senior  Ordinary  Seaman,  aged  38.

 Benjamin  Thomas  Owens……Stewart,  aged  26.  Son  of  Thomas  and  Elizabeth  Owens;  husband  of  Gladys  Ellen  Eileen  Owen,  of  Camel’s  Head,  Plymouth.

Jack  Roberts……Senior  Ordinary  Seaman,  aged  38.  Son  of  William  and  Blanche  Roberts; husband  of  Audrey  Jane  Roberts,  of  East  Grinstead,  Sussex.

 Sem  Samuel……Cook,  aged  39.  Son  of  Samuel  and  Aurelia.

 Raymond  George  Stone……Able  Seaman,  aged  24,  husband  of  Phyllis, of   St.  Thomas,  Swansea.

 Ieuan  Thomas……Fireman,  aged  22.  Son  of  Mr.  And  Mrs.  William  Thomas  of  Ammanford,  Carmarthenshire.

 Sydney  Charles  Ward……Senior  Ordinary  Seaman,  aged  21.  Son  of  Charles  Edwin  and  Florence  Kate  Ward.

 Ivor  William  Watchman……Able  Seaman,  aged  23.  Son  of  John  and  Esther  Watchman,  of  Port  Tennant,  Swansea.

 Rees  John  Williams……Carpenter,  aged  29.  Son  of  Rees  and  Mary  H.  Williams;  husband  of  Winifred  Williams,  of  Morriston,  Swansea.

Eight  D.E.M.S.  gunners  were  also  lost,  and  they  were, George  Harold  Haines,  aged  34,  Ernest Hutchinson,  aged  34,  Arthur  Jenkins,  aged  27, Maurice  Richard  Allington,  aged  19,  William  Edward  Mason,  aged  34,  Kenneth  William  Sweet,  aged  21,  The  other  two  D.E.M.S.*  gunners  were  unknown.

                                                                 *Defensively  Equipped  Merchant  Ship.

                                                                                                           U  260

A  type  VIIC  submarine,  she  was  laid  down  on  May   7th  1941  at  the  Bremer  Vulcan  shipyard   in  Bremen – Vegesack.
She  was  commissioned  on  May  14th  1942  under  the  command  of  Kptlt.  Hubertus  Purkhold,  who  commanded  the  vessel  until   April  1944.
She  carried  out  9  patrols  in  her  career  and  from  October  1st  1942  until  October  31st  1944  she   was  front  boat  in  6  Flotilla.

The  Empire  Wagtail  was  the  only  vessel  the  U – 260  sank  in  her  lifetime.

The  U – 260  was  scuttled  on  March  12th  1945,  south  of  Ireland,  in  position  51. 15N,  09.05W,  after  being  mined  at  80  metres  depth.  The  whole  crew  of  48  survived  and  were  interned  in  Ireland.

A  V11C  Class  U-Boat.

Typical  Torpedo  Damage.

The  Largest  Loss  of  Life  in  Convoy  O.N.S.154. 326  Lives  Lost 

Special  Service  Vessel  Fidelity.Convoy  #  54

The  H.M.S.  Fidelity (ex – French,  Le   Rhin) built  1920,  2,455  tons,  was  taken  over  by  the  Admiralty  in  June  1940.  The  vessel  was  refitted  with  4  x  4"  guns,  4  torpedo  tubes,  2  Kingfisher  seaplanes  and  a  motor  torpedo  boat.
This  vessel  is  known  to  have  been  considered  as  extremely  unseaworthy  by  her  crew.

 The  Fidelity  had  rescued  2  boatloads  of  survivors,  containing    about  50  men  from  the  Empire  Shackleton,  which  had  been  hit  by  a  torpedo.

 The  Fidelity  had  developed  engine  problems  during  the  assault  on  ONS 154  and  started  to  lag  behind  the  main  body  of  the  convoy.

 She  was  torpedoed  by  U – 615  ON  December  29th and  torpedoed  and  sunk  by  U – 435  on  December  30th.

 Altogether,  280  crew  members,  51  Royal  Marine  Commandos,  a  W.R.N.S.  Officer,  plus  four  civilians  were  lost.  This  figure  does  not  include  the  50  or  so  survivors  from  the  Empire  Shackleton. There  were  10  survivors.

Some  of  the  Convoy  Escorts  ONS  154


H.M.C.S.  NAPANEE  Starboard  Quarter  Escort

H.M.C.S.  CHILLIWACK Port  Bow  Escort


The  Rescue  Ship  Reward Convoy # 94 

H.M.C.S. Kenogami Port Quarter Escort

H.M.C.S. Shediac Central Stern Escort

H.M.C.S.  Battleford Starboard  Bow  Escort

The  Azores  Gap  (The  Black  Pit)


The shaded   areas  had  no  air  cover  in  the  early  war  years.

The  S.S.  Scottish  Heather.


This  vessel  was  built  for  Tankers  Ltd.,  of  London  by  Armstrong,  Whitworth  &  Co.,  on  the  Tyne,  She  was  launched  on  March  5th  1928.

 A  vessel  of  442ft  length,  57ft  breadth  and  a  G.R.T.  of  7,087t,  she  was  taken  over  by  Tate  &  Lyle  in  1941  for  the  M.O.W.T..

 The  Scottish  Heather  left  Smith’s  Dock,  South  Bank,  on  the  Tees  on  December  18th  1942  to  join  up  with  O.N.S.  154  AT  Loch  Ewe.

 This  vessel  was  officially  designated  as  the  oiler  for  the  convoy   escorts,  a  recently  introduced  innovation.


She  was  shadowed  by  U-225  on  the  afternoon  of  Sunday  December  27th  while   refuelling  H.M.C.S.  Chilliwack.   After  the  refuelling  operation  was  complete,  H.M.C.S.  Chilliwack  picked  up  a  sonar  contact  and  then  saw  the  surfaced  U-Boat  trailing  the  Scottish  Heather  and  then  fired  at  the  submarine.  The  Chilliwack  then  drew  level  with  the  Scottish  Heather  and  accompanied  her  towards  the  now  distant  convoy.  After  a  lengthy  game  of  cat  and  mouse  the  U-255  finally  had  an  opportunity  to  fire  a  torpedo  at  the  tanker  at  2040h.  The  torpedo  struck  just  forward  of  the  bridge,  tearing  a  huge  gash  in  the   ships  side.



      The  order  was  given  to  abandon  ship  and  the  crew  took  to  the  lifeboats.  An  hour  later  the  U-225  surfaced  and  headed  for  the  convoy. From  the  conning  tower  the  watching  men  could  see  a  red  flare  burning  from  a  packed  lifeboat,  but  there  was  no  sign  of  the  ship.  The  U-Boat  commander,  Oblt.  Leimkuhler  then  informed  U-Boat  headquarters  that  he  had  sunk  a  tanker  of  7,000t.When  dawn  broke  on  the  28th,  the  crew  members  in  the  ships  lifeboats  could see  no  ship  in  sight  and  set  a  course  for  Ireland,  Unknown  to  them,  the  Second  Mate ,  with  a  group  of  ten  others, had  re-boarded  the  tanker  and  sailed  it  out  of  the  danger  zone.  They  then  conducted  a  pattern  search  for  the  rest  of  the  tankers  lifeboats  and  later  that  afternoon  all  the  ships  crew  were  rescued.  The  vessel  then  plotted  a  course  for  the    U.K.,  arriving  in  the  Clyde  on  January  2nd.  The  Scottish  Heather  was  the  only  torpedoed  vessel  to  survive  the  battle,  the  other  torpedoed  vessels,  including  the  ones  that  headed  for  the  Azores  were  all  sunk.

   The  Scottish  Heather  became  the  Athelcrest  in  1951  and  arrived  at  Blyth  On  July  29th,  1954  for  breaking  up.


Captain Douglas Crook Newspaper Obituary

From the Daily Telegraph, September 15, 1995

CAPTAIN DOUGLAS CROOK, who has died aged 83, was a Battle of the Atlantic veteran who achieved an epic feat of seamanship as Second Officer of the tanker Athelknight, which was sunk by U-172 north-east of the Virgin Islands on May 27, 1942.
The U-boat surfaced alongside Crook's lifeboat, and its captain asked if there was anything he needed. Crook said an extra bucket, food and medical supplies. "He gave us the bucket and some fairly mouldy bread," Crook recalled, "but said he couldn't spare any of his medical supplies."
Crook, in charge of a lifeboat with 26 survivors, decided he would make for Antigua. He maintained the strictest discipline in the boat. "If anyone was caught tampering with the fresh water, I promised personally to chop his bloody fingers off."
They drank condensed milk and water, and ate pemmican and hard-tack biscuits, carefully rationed by Crook. "The best we did was three fluid ounces a day," he recalled. "Eventually we got down to an ounce of water a day.":
"But there was no escaping the sun. Some of the lads wanted to take a dip to cool off, but I refused permission because I considered that they'd be too weak to get back on board. "We became coated in salt, and as time passed our lips began to suffer terribly."
After 28 days and more than 1,000 miles, they reached the French island St. Barthelemey, 100 miles north-west of Antigua, and came ashore with water and rations to spare. Crook was appointed MBE -- not an over-generous award in the circumstances.

     Crook at once volunteered to go to sea again, and won the George Medal and Lloyds War Medal for bravery at sea later that year as Second Officer of the tanker Scottish Heather.
     Scottish Heather was equipped as an oiler to refuel convoy escorts under way.
She sailed with the outward-bound convoy ONS154, which was badly mauled by two packs of U-boats, 13 ships being sunk in a running battle which began on Christmas Eve 1942.
 Scottish Heather was torpedoed by U-225 on the night of the 27th and most of her crew, including the Captain and the Chief Officer, took to the lifeboats. Crook was about to get into a boat himself when he realised that the ship was not going to sink. He called for volunteers, and took command of the ship. They raised steam, got under way, recovered many of the survivors, including the Captain and Chief Officer, and eventually reached the Clyde.
     After the war Crook joined the Fire Service, commanded the William Gregson at Liverpool, and headed the National Fire School at Chipping Norton.

     His wife died in 1989. They had a son.

Extracts  from  the  Voyage  Notebook  of  Mr.  Herbert  Lawrence  Hogg,  Director,

of  Smith – Hogg  Ltd., Managers  of  Empire  Wagtail  for  M.O.W.T.

 Produced  by  kind  permission  of  Mr.  Nigel  Hogg.

Voyage  No  3  1942.

August  14th…Completed  discharge  at  Huskisson  Dock,  Liverpool.

 August  15th…Vessel  left  Liverpool  for  Baltimore  (orders  changed  during  voyage,  to  Philadelphia).

 September  6th…Vessel  arrived  Philadelphia  @  1115h.

 October  5th…Advised  that  vessel  had  sailed  from  Philadelphia.

 November  4th…Vessel  arrived  Cardiff  @1800h.

November  18th…  Completed  discharge  @1300h.

 November  19th…  Vessel  under  repair.

 November  23rd…Vessel  dry-docked  in  Commercial  Dr-Dock  @  1200h.

 November  30th…  Vessel  undocked  am. Moved onto  Berth No.  4  in  Queens  Dock  at  1200h  and  commenced  loading  coal.  
December  4th…Completed  loading,  awaiting  completion  of  repairs.

 December  11th…Repairs  completed,  awaiting  opportunity  to  sail.

 December  14th…Sailed  from  Cardiff  to  link  up  with  Convoy  O.N.S.  154  @  2325h.


  I would  like  to  thank  the  following  people  for  their  contribution  to  this  booklet,  for  without  their  assistance  it  would  have  not  been  possible.

 Mr   J.  Gordon  Mumford    author  of  ‘the  Black  Pit  and  Beyond’  and  his  brilliant  website  about  O.N.S.  154.

Mr.  Henry  Revely,  the  author  of  ‘The  Convoy That  Nearly  Died’.

 Mr.  Nigel  Hogg  of  Smith – Hogg  Ltd.,  for  his  photograph  of  the  Empire  Wagtail  as  the  Ossining,  and  also  copies  of  his  grandfathers  notebook  entries  concerning  the  brief  life  of  the  Empire  Wagtail  under  the  Red  Ensign.

Ron Tovey Index Page

Please note – all articles and images on this website are copyright-protected and may not be used or reproduced without the express permission of the site's authors or their contributors.