Swansea and Port Talbot Docks History

The Enugu Palm (April 30, 1975)


After  an  uneventful  Wednesday  consisting  of  day work  aboard  the  Victoria,  I headed  home  for  a  quick  bath  and  then  on  to  The  Chestnuts,  a  private  club  situated  in  Bishopston,  on  the  Gower  peninsular. The  Windsor  Arms,  my  local  pub  at  the  time,  in  St.  Thomas,  had  entered  the  local  radio  stations  quiz  competition  and a  mini-bus was  arranged   to  take  us  there.  My  mother  was  going  to  baby-sit  and  my  then  wife  and  I  had  arranged  to  meet  her  parents  at  The  Chestnuts.

All  this  was  to  alter  before  I  had  even  run a  bath,  when  our  manager,  Mr.  Colin  Butt  rang  to  tell  me  that  a  vessel,  the  Enugu  Palm, had  suffered  a  crankcase  explosion  while  on  passage  from  Liverpool  to  West  Africa.  The  vessel  was  now  adrift  and  the  position  I  was  given  was  20 miles  north  of  Pendeen.

We  were  told  to  join  the  Victoria  as  near  to  1900h  as  possible  and  hopefully  we  would  get  the  last  lock  out  of  Swansea  and  a  good  ebb  tide  behind  us  for  our  passage  down  the  Bristol  Channel. 

Captain  Grenville  Taylor  called  to  my  home  to  give  me  a  lift  and  I  left  at  home  one  very  disappointed  wife  and  two  in-laws  who  were  looking  forward  to  an  evening  out.  That’s  tug boating. On  joining  the  Victoria  we  had  our  normal  crew  consisting  of  Capt.  Taylor, myself  as  Mate,  Harry  Hooker  and  George  Davies  the  two  A.B.’S,  Rees  Brooks  was  our  Chief  Engineer  and  our  second  engineer  was  Roy  Bennett.  The  crew  was  supplemented  by  Cliff  Wiltshire  as  extra  mate  and ? as  extra  engineer.  It  soon  became  obvious  to  all  concerned  that  the  work  rota  was  not  being  applied  properly  and  we  assumed  that  the  people before  us  in  the  rota  had  refused.

We  soon  realised  that  the  Victoria  was  pretty  scantily  equipped  for  outside  towing,  the  reason  being  that  at  this  time  the  Mumbles  and  Margam  were  being  used  as  the  coastal  boats.  If  we  had  to  get  more  towing  gear  from  our  stores  then  there  would  be  no  chance  of  us  making  the  last  lock  out  and  the  consequences  of  our  missing  the  tide could  be  quite  severe.  The  north  Cornish  coast  was  a  lee  shore  for  the  casualty  and  luckily  there  was  a  high  pressure  system  over  the  U.K.  with  light  winds. There  were  also  other  towing  vessels  in  the  vicinity,  who  were  like  predators  waiting  to  pounce.

The  Victoria  alongside  Margam  on  ‘C’  Shed
  Watches  were  set  at  3hrs  a  watch  and  due  to  the  favourable  weather  conditions  we  able  to  get  the  towing  gear  out  of  the  after  hatch  and  lash  it  on  deck  ready  for  use. Our  one  problem,  if  we  had  to  extend  the  length  of  the  tow  due to  worsening  weather,  was  a  shortage  of  shackles.

     Daylight  arrived  just  after  0600h  and  after  receiving  co-ordinates  from  the  Master  of the  Enugu  Palm  the  vessel  was  spotted  shortly  after  0630h.  The  tow  was  connected  with  little  fuss  and  because  of  the  prevailing  weather  it  was  decided  to  lengthen  the  tow  and  this  was  achieved  by  threading  the  eye  of  the  Port  Talbot  gear  through  the  eye  of  the  deep-sea  towing  junk.  Never  again  did  I  sail  anywhere  without  an  ample  supply  of  deep  sea  shackles  on  board  and  I  also  insisted  that  every  tug  in  Swansea  had  their  own  appropriate  sized  shackles  that  were  to  remain  on  board  at  all  times.

     The  Victoria  made  good  time  in  favourable  conditions  and  arrived  off  the  Mumbles  around  1900hrs.  After  boarding  a  pilot  and  waiting  for  the routine  traffic  movements  of  any  other  port,  two  of  our  other  tugs  connected  to  the  Enugu  Palm  and  she  was  finally  berthed  on  the  Dry- dock  repair  jetty  at  around  midnight.

      Repairs  were  carried  out  to  the  Enugu  Palm  and after  a  number  of  weeks  in  Swansea  she  resumed  her  voyage  to West  Africa.
I,  as  one of the  two  mates  aboard,  received  nearly  £3,000  pounds  as  a  salvage  payment  and  this  money  was  used  to  carry  out  extensive  alterations  to  my  house  in  Balaclava  Street.

Ron Tovey Index Page